Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Beginning

This is the first blog entry of my life. I'm doing this for a class assignment. My hope is that others will join me here to share in and add to my PhD research.

My undergraduate degree is in engineering, and I worked in industry for 14 years. I then worked as an English teacher for four years, working with teenaged boys in a drug rehab facility. My major interest outside of work was amateur theatre - I appeared in over twenty plays and directed three.

In 2006, as part of my Masters project, I had the opportunity to direct Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed" at OSU-Mansfield. This inspired me to continue my studies with an emphasis on how drama can be used to present controversial social justice issues to a public that might be unwilling to accept these ideas when presented in other ways.

My major research interests are:

Using drama and film to present controversial material with social justice implications
Censorship in school curricula
Controversial, subversive, and reactionary literature used in (or excluded from) curricula

If any of this rings any bells, I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Your varied background is fascinating. I never would have pegged you as an actor! I would have loved to see your rendition of Nickel and Dimed. My mom has been a waitress her whole life and she thought it was a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete