Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Final Answer

I'm not real sure what to write here. I've been using Google Notebook for a class and have been happy with it, although it will require some discipline to keep up with it, and I'm awfully short on discipline sometimes.

I'm glad to be a blogger at last, but how does one promote a blog? I can tell people I know, but what about people outside of my community? Maybe you could include some material on how to pick good keywords so Google will notice us.

I'm very happy with the utilities that came along with Switch - I downloaded a sound editor if you recall, and I'd been looking for one ever since Vista stomped out the one I used to use.

The transcription software would have REALLY come in handy for my Masters paper, and I am definitely going to keep a copy on my desktop.

I think I'm pretty competent on the video stuff, but having seen some other people's videos, it might be helpful to include some material on how to shoot with a video camera (basic framing, lighting considerations, etc.) It doesn't take much to make a video look professional (or unprofessional). Film producer Roger Corman, who trained directors Ron Howard, James Cameron, Martin Scorcese and John Demme, among other, used to say that if you would take him to dinner and bring your notebook, he could teach you everything you needed to know to direct a movie in two hours.

Thanks again for a great class, and for not assigning ten hours of reading every week!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your suggestions and insights. I am going to do some research on how to promote a blog/google keywords and I will let you know when I find some information. Do you, by any chance, have any good links for tips on how to shoot video? I found a few, but would love to see anything you use/are aware of. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://john.giantgoat.com/2008/11/tools-to-promote-your-blog.html

    Not sure if this is helpful...

    ReplyDelete